ScheudleR provided me with a great deal of research and feedback from their existing user base. The company essentially developed a software without implementing desgin. After they began to recieve feedback from the user base thy realized they needed some help. I was called in for a redesign and to help implement some new features that could help the user. With that in mind I sought to validate their new features and create a flow that would work better for them during the design phase and not after a launch.
Market Analysis & Blue Ocean
Because I have never worked in a medical office I needed to understand what the market was like and what were the feaures the competitors included and why they had those features. I created a feature comparison chart to put these features into percpective and see what the mental models of the user were. I then created a market positioning map to get a grasp of where the blue ocean was in the market.
Research & Discovery
The user research was done at a medical office where I interviewed the entire staff and I observed them in their environment and interacting with their medical software. I got many complaints about the software and process of scheduling patients, referring other doctors, and sending documents across businesses. The biggest take away was the real frusturation I witnessed when mistakes occured- as well as the precise attention that needed to be paid while interacting with the computer.
Synthesizing the Data
Using an affinity map I sorted through all the data collected. The major pain points were around the complexity of each task. Another pain point was with the time consumption around each task. The initial assumptions from ScheduleR were starting to become valid.
Creating a Point of View
The persona was based around the front desk associates that used the exisiting platform already. I created the persona with the characteristics of those associates in mind. The habits and out-of-work life were also integrated into the persona. I placed the persona into a user journey that would allow me to observe her pain points in action.
Due to the time restrictions, we chose the top three point points to solve for. We then went straight to the drawing board and came up with as many solutions as possible. We time boxed ourselves throughout the process to add some creative pressure.
Minimum Viable Product
The MVP was defined using the MoSCoW method and an impact vs. effort chart. Since one of the developers of the software assisted me throughout the design process I had a multiple perspectives on what would be high or low effort on the business. I also validated the solutions with some users to make sure we were on track for truly helping them. Through this process we were able to determine what the key distinguishing feature would be: a HIPPA compliant instant messaging platform that would connect multiple medical offices across various specialties.
Site Map & User Flow
The sitemap was done because we needed to define every page that needed to be redesigned. The user flow was done only for the happy path of the key distinguishing feature. We wanted to validate the efficiency of the user flow when it comes to the referral process.
Low Fidelity Wireframes
The referral flow needed to be validated with the user base. So we sketched up some possible concepts and went to the doctor's office to put it to the test with real users. They gave resistance to the buttons being in the chat area so we took that out in the mid-fi phase. They also felt like it was on the verge of being too crowded.
Mid Fidelity Wireframes
During this phase we found that most users prefered to send referrals via one path and it wasn't obvious to them that there was another way to send referrals.
The company wanted blue and red because their brand already established those colors in their identity. However I was able to add in some more colors to their pallet. I also chose a typeface that would be simple and quick to read. Overall the desirablity tests showed that we were right on track with our brand attributes.
High Fidelity Prototype
At the end of the two weeks the product had color and was ready to be tested. The tests still showed that the user wanted to send a referral through the "referrals" filter on the top of the page. This was okay because it was a path into the referral form but it wasnt the fastest way to the referral form. From that data we decided that adding tool tips on rollover would help the user. Also adding keyboard shortcuts could make life easier for the users.
The platform is not complete and is still a WIP. So far the messaging part has been defined but needs to go through a couple more iterations. The other pages in the site will be redsigned in future sprints to come.